For my first ever blog post I will respond to the Chapter 1 Reflecting on What I Know Questions. Throughout the semester I will learn more about blogging by reading other blogs and continuing to post on this blog. For now here goes...
1. Must I use a inquiry-based learning approach in my classroom to use computers as a tool?
In a word, no. It is important to establish an open-ended environment when integrating computers into the classroom. Students should be given guidelines and instruction to complete the project but have the flexibility to research and answer questions within the project. Teachers are more like coaches and facilitators rather than lecturers.
2. Can I still use tutorials and drill-and-practice software?
As stated above, students should be given the flexibility to research information and answer questions while completing the project. However, if used appropriately drill-and-practice software can still be used. The software should support what the students are researching. I believe it could be used to check on the students progress. Maybe to make sure they have found certain items during their research.
3. Won't I have to spend a great deal of time to develop these units of instruction?
At first yes. Integrating computers into daily use is new. Lesson plans will need to be changed to allow students to focus on research and the teacher to become the facilitator/coach. Each year will get easier. Lessons can be reused and modified as needed. Also teachers will build a base and if grade levels work together in no time a library of these lesson plans will be made.
4. Won't every student need a computer to use it as a tool?
Ideally every student in every classroom would have access to a computer at any given time. However this is not the case for many schools financially. Computers are in the classroom and it is up to the teacher to allow students to use them often. Depending on the number of computers in the classroom students can be grouped in teams to complete a project. It is best that the teams consist of students with a wide range of computer knowledge. This way the students can build off each others knowledge. If computers are limited then teachers can incorporate them into centers and allow students or small groups of students to rotate.
No comments:
Post a Comment